Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Books, books, books! [September 2020]

 Ahh! I have been so excited to write this post! 

At the beginning of this year, I told myself I wanted to be better at reading. 

...and then like everyone else's 2020 hopes and dreams... that went up in flames, fast!

Listen, I am not much of a reader these days.  I love to read, have always loved to read but I just never make time to read.  Since #momlife came along, when I have had the time, i'll be honest - I just sit and play on my phone.  Which is a PROBLEM and terrible habit that I really wanted to be intentional about breaking.  

So since reading is not just 'second nature' to me, I set a goal for myself to read 1 book a month.  12 books in the year 2020.  Surely I can do that.

But, it's September.

....and I think I'm well on my way to being able to achieve my goal...

Because I've read FIVE books this month.

Whhaaaaatt?

I know. 

I can't stop.  

When I FORCED myself to put my phone down in my spare time, a book fell into it's place and I haven't been able to stop reading.  

Yay!

Ok, so here we go... What I read... starting with...


I mentioned this book when I talked about my Book Club night!  The Family Upstairs was the book that we chose to read for our September book club meeting and.... it was just okay for me.  The story starts out with the main character being informed that she has inherited a multi-million dollar mansion where she was found as a 10-month old baby.  Along with it, she learns that she has two siblings who have disappeared, who her birth parents were and also about their death, which was deemed to be a suicide pact.  Sounds suspenseful, right? It really was! I am quickly realizing that I'm very into mystery/ plot twisting books but this one's ending didn't quite live up to the hope I had given it.  That being said, I did enjoy reading it, but definitely would say it was my least favorite book that I had read this month. 


Aww! I loved The Mother-in-Law!  Now, let me tell you, when I bought this book, I had no idea it was going to be so suspenseful! The story begins with one of the main characters finding out that her Mother-In-Law had committed suicide.... or did she? I won't spoil it for you! I loved everything about this book.  I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved that it kept me guessing throughout! I did NOT see the ending coming at all! Read this book! 



Okay. Wow. This book was good. And Intense. The Tattooist of Auschwitz is based on a true LOVE story about a Jewish man who was assigned the role of tattooing the prisoners of Auschwitz.  Now listen, it is heavy, deep, so REAL and powerful and so just, ugh (it's based on the Holocaust, so obviously..) but it's definitely a book that  I am so glad that I read. I'll never forget reading this book and reading this man's story.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND! 



I can already almost guarantee that this book is going to land in my top 5 this year.  I am a SUCKER for psychological thrillers... I nerd. out. for anything psychology in general (I have a minor in Psychology!) and let me tell you, I have NERDED OUT with this book.  I've already given it to one of my good friends to read, told my father-in-law to read it, and geeked out on social media about it.
This book is good.  Okay, maybe I should stop gushing and tell you a little bit about the book, haha!
This book is about an artist who was accused of brutally murdering her husband.  Once the police finds her, she goes radio silent and hasn't spoken since.  Now she is spending her days in a psychiatric ward. I won't go much further, but I'll tell you, I NEVER EVER EVER saw the ending coming.  It literally blew my mind so much that when I read the ending I shouted "NO WAAAAAY!!!!!" 
This one will keep you on the edge of your seat. I LOVED The Silent Patient!

Okay... My FAVORITE book of September was....


How to Walk Away.  Oh Katherine Center, you got me on this one.  This one has left a lasting impression on me.  The story is about a girl who survives a plane crash and how her life unfolds afterwards.  Let me just tell you that so much of this book resonated with me.  Maybe that won't be for everyone and maybe that's why I LOVED this book so incredibly much, but I thought the message behind the story was so powerful.  If you read ANYTHING this month, read How to Walk Away.

Phew! Such a great month of reading!!
My plan is to get into the habit of reading at least 3 books a month, so we'll see how I do! 

Any suggestions for the coming months? 

No comments:

Post a Comment