Monday, May 11, 2020

Tyler's shrimp and grits

So let me go ahead and preface this post with the fact that I am not the owner of this recipe.
...My husband is, ha. 
Listen, I and I think the rest of my tribe would consider me as the resident chef of the house... but on occasion, the men of the home gang up on meTyler steps in with a few of his 'signature dishes' that the boys reprimand me if I try to recreate.
For example, my children will not allow me to make:
1. Mashed sweet potatoes
2. Macaroni and Cheese
3. Shrimp and Grits

...for whatever reason, when I try to make them, they mock me and beg for their father to step in and do it instead.  Why? I have no clue. I think they do it on purpose to mess with me. I honestly feel like it tastes the same regardless of the person who prepares it.  But they insist so I don't argue (because who's going to argue with letting someone else make dinner?!).

This recipe is a staple in our house because it's quick, easy, (...I mean my husband makes them, so it's gotta be quick and easy, right? ;)) and so, stinkin' delicious.  Sometimes we get crazy a double the recipe and the kids eat on it all week for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

  Nothing quite says 'southern' like a big bowl of shrimp and grits.

And lucky for me, my man makes a heck of a bowl ;)


SHOPPING LIST:
1 cup regular grits
4 cups of chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup of shredded pepper blend cheese
2 tablespoons of butter
1 chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound of medium sized shrimp, peeled and cooked
1 can of rotel (diced tomatoes and green chiles)
real bacon bits (we just use the bagged bacon bits - but you can fry up your own bacon if you're #extra)
Green onions, chopped for garnish
Hot sauce

DIRECTIONS: (per the chef himself because God forbid I try and do it!)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a large saucepan, bring your chicken broth and salt to a boil, then stir in your grits.  Once your grits start to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the grits - let this simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so - trust the cooking! Removing the top too much will effect the texture of the grits, so leave it alone.
Meanwhile, have a large skillet warming on medium heat.  When you've got 15 minutes or so left on your grits, add your butter garlic and green bell pepper to your skillet and saute until your bell peppers are tender.  
Once your grits have cooked, stir in 3/4 cup of cheddar and your pepper blend cheese.  Pour your grits into your skillet with your bell peppers.  Add your rotel and shrimp and stir together until well combined then transfer into a 9x9 baking dish.  
Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Allow the shrimp and grits to cool for about 5 minutes before serving then top with bacon bits, green onions and hot sauce to your liking!

Thanks babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment